The last date for linking your Aadhaar Card with your PAN Card was extended, again. The extension was announced on March 28 just days before the previous deadline of March 31. However, you now have just a little over a month to get your PAN-Aadhaar linking done. Every taxpayer in the country now has to necessarily link their Aadhaar Card with PAN by June 30. So, if you still haven’t, don’t worry, we have you covered with all the details you need to know.
Is It Mandatory To Link Aadhaar With PAN?
Yes, it is mandatory to link your Aadhaar Card with your PAN Card. If you still do not link your Aadhaar with PAN by June 30, your PAN will be rendered inoperative. This would mean that an individual will face difficulties in carrying out a whole host of financial activities. From opening a bank account to filing your taxes, all of these activities require a working PAN card. Even your Demat account requires your PAN card details. Other consequences during the period that PAN remains inoperative will be as follows:
- No refund shall be made against such PANs
- Interest shall not be payable on such refund for the period during which PAN remains inoperative
- TDS and TCS shall be deducted /collected at a higher rate, as provided in the IT Act
There a few categories of people who have been exempted from PAN-Aadhaar linking including those residing in specified states, a non-resident as per the Act, an individual who is not a citizen of India, or individuals of the age of eighty years or more at any time during the previous year.
Are There Any Charges On Linking PAN With Aadhaar Card?
The IT Department has been asking people to link PAN With Aadhaar Card for quite some time. Now, after several previous deadlines have passed, you have to pay a sum of ₹1,000 to link Aadhaar With PAN.
Citizens who linked their Aadhaar With PAN by March 31, 2022, had to pay no such penalty. After that, a fee of ₹500 was introduced for linking Aadhaar With PAN between April to June 30, 2022. The ₹1,000 penalties were introduced in July for linking before March 31, 2023. It is still applicable if you link by June 30. The fees can be paid through the e-filing website.
Get all the latest Share Market trends and news to set you up for the week ahead.
As per the government, more than 51 crore PANs have already been linked with Aadhaar to date.
So, How To Link PAN Card With Aadhaar Card?
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
As per the UIDAI website to link your Aadhaar with PAN, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Income Tax e-filing portal at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- If you haven’t registered yet, you need to register on the portal using your PAN, which will serve as your user ID.
- Once you are registered, log in to the portal by entering your user ID, password, and date of birth.
- You will see a pop-up window that will prompt you to link your Aadhaar with your PAN. If the pop-up doesn’t appear, go to the “Profile Settings” section on the menu bar and click on “Link Aadhaar”.
- Your name, date of birth, and gender will already be filled in based on your PAN details.
- Check the PAN details on the screen against the ones on your Aadhaar card. If there are any discrepancies, make sure to get them corrected in either of the documents.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “Link Now” button.
- A pop-up message will confirm that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN.
- Alternatively, you can also link your PAN and Aadhaar by visiting https://www.utiitsl.com/ or https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/.
By following these steps you will be able to link your Aadhaar Card with PAN. Now, it can also be the case that you may have linked your PAN with Aadhaar card, but aren’t sure of it. In that case, you can also check if PAN is linked with Aadhaar.
How To Check If PAN Card Is Linked With Aadhaar Card?
To check whether Aadhaar is linked with PAN, follow these steps:
Go to the Income Tax e-filing portal: https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
Look for the ‘Quick Links’ section on the left-hand side of the page and select ‘Link Aadhaar Status’
Enter your 10-digit PAN number and 12-digit Aadhaar number, and then click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
If your Aadhaar is already linked with your PAN, the Aadhaar number will be displayed. However, if the two are not linked, you will need to complete the above steps to link PAN with Aadhaar.
There is another method to check if PAN is linked with Aadhaar. You just have to send an SMS out to either 567678 or 56161.
To check the status, compose a message in this format: first type “UIDPAN” then enter a space. Then, type your 12-digit Aadhaar number, followed by another space. Lastly, type your 10-digit Permanent Account Number (PAN) and send the SMS to 567678 or 56161.
Here is an example of the correct message format: UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhaar number> <10 digit PAN>.
Remember the extended last date for linking your Aadhaar Card with PAN is June 30.
© 2024 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.